4 Rue Matheron
13100 Aix-en-Provence, France
is my new home.
My first impression of Aix was actually made a few weeks ago. The day that we came was kind of dark and rainy, however, and I was extremely tired... so now... this will serve to show you the better impression of the city that I've had during the past week.
The city is gorgeous. When I can shape up and start taking pictures again, I will definitely show you around the city, but for now let's appreciate the smaller things.
The roads are narrow, and there is only one I can think of that actually goes in a straight line. The city is a labyrinth of small roads and smaller alleys. The buildings seem tall, given their close proximity, and they are old, very old. The town is home to multiple universities and a lot, a lot, a lot of shops. There are a lot of students here, and there are almost as many tourists. The city has a lot of history and quite a few beautiful, ornate buildings.
I am living in the flat with Coline, and her friend Maude. And man, I can't wait to show you the place. The door to get into the complex is probably twice my height... it looks like a giant castle door!
castlzz!~
Push it open (if you can) and you enter a large open foyer, with a staircase at the end. The staircase follows the walls upwards upwards upwards! It a giant open space with plenty of room for my incessant whistling to echo. Up a few flights, there is a door. That is our door.
That door is a bitch.
Man, to dead bolt that sucker you have to push the key in (which is not as easy as it seems) try to get the key to turn left (it has to be in a very specific place) and then you have to turn while, with all your might, you are pulling back on the doorknob in the center of the door.
Castle doors, man....
So, you're in the appartment. To the right there is a small narrow staircase that goes up, just a few feet, to the bathroom, the toilet, and Coline's and my bedroom. If you go straight from the front door there is another small narrow staircase that peaks where Maude's bedroom is, and then goes down into the living room. Maude's room is mezanine overlooking the living area, and is directly over the kitchen. From the living room floor, the ceiling is about 14 feet above and there are two very large windows about 3ftx8ft. The windows open up completely to look down on rue Matheron. Sometimes I sit on the window sill with my legs dangling towards the street and have a cigarrette or use my laptop.
The living room floor is made up of red stones shaped like hexagons. The kitchen is super shiny, white white white... super modern. I think the kitchen is my favorite part.... if it wasn't for....
.....
My closet.
Underneath the stairs leading down into the living room, there is a tiny little closet, hidden carefully behind two panels. In the closet, the sole occupant is a water heater, leaving me just enough room to lay down or sit up, but certainly not stand. And so, for the past week, this little closet has become my home. I have big plans for "my room" like christmas lights and posters, maybe a blanket and a pillow. I'm thinking a disco ball would be too much, but the idea isn't off the table yet....
Fortunately for me, and I suppose for those of you who talk to me online, some poor sucka around here didn't secure their internet with a password. And so, MAYER brings me much happiness on it's invisible waves of internet goodness.
Which brings me to my last topic for the post. French Electro.
Oh god damn....
It's so good. There is a giant new wave of artists emerging, mainly from Nantes and Paris. I've spent considerable hours online exploring a seemingly infinite number of incredible French artists, mainly in the electro genre. I've compiled a list, and placed asteriks next to the very best... check some out if you have time.
*Teenage Bad Girl - Paris
*We Have Band - UK
Appaloosa - Paris
Ladyhawke - New Zealand
Mustard Pimp
Lullabies in the Dark - Belgium
*Blackskirt - France
College - France
*Minitel Rose -France
Electric Youth - Toronto
Jupiter - France
Hong Kong in the 60s - UK
*Anoraak - Nantes, France
Pony Pony Run Run - France
*sayCeT - France
Error::Love - France
jordan - France - Indie/garage
the marshmallow kisses - UK
Enfant Terrible - France
Broadcast - UK
Ghost in the Water - US
Until next time,
Love,
Jon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment